Friday, September 10, 2010

My Katie


This is an 8 x 10" Drawing on glass with vitreous paints. The technique of drawing on glass is much like a hybrid of an ink wash drawing/painting, charcoal drawing and an etching. This piece is one of a strand I would like to complete through the rest of the semester. The technique of drawing and painting on glass with this medium has existed since the Middle Ages. The pigment used is fired into the glass making it permanent. Some paints for glass are not vitreous but are enamels and not permanent to the glass or will fade in the daylight. This will not occur with vitreous paints according to the late glass painter, Albinus Elskus, whom I had the priviledge of taking a workshop with in the early 80's.

This piece is of my daughter sleeping in travel on a Mission Trip we took this past summer. Our children are our most treasured possessions. Our sleeping children always appear angelic. I enjoy painting on glass as an autonomous process, outside of detail within site specific projects or installations.

I think it has a lot of potential to be explored out of context of the traditional stained glass window.

No comments:

Post a Comment