Friday, October 5, 2012

Eye Cons for Art O Mat

Eye Cons for Art O Mat:  An "Other" Kind of Archive



Clark W tagged me on the Art O Mat Facebook page.

Art O Mat-  Art for the masses! 
Art-o-mat® machines are retired cigarette vending machines that have been converted to vend art.

You can find Art-O-Mat machines now internationally.  I have recently become an Art O Mat artist.  First through my Winston Salem gallery, Artworks Gallery, as we participate as a group.  I then submitted to be an individual artist for Art O Mat, and have been recently working on making these little 'eye-cons'.

I have desired to be involved with this project for awhile now, but it always seemed out of reach for me to actually begin to do so.  I am excited to be producing a first edition of these.

The idea grows out of my MFA work and my archive on Women artists.  In one of my last critiques during my 4th residency, Tony Apesos, suggested I do a series on 'eyes'.  The suggestion resonated with me because I had just journaled about the idea while sitting in/ with the Chihuly exhibit that was then being shown in the MFA (Museum of Fine Arts- Boston), that was up at that time.

So this is the beginning of a new series based on this concept, and I am working on some other ideas that will come forward soon.

To learn more about Art O Mat:  http://www.artomat.org/

An article on Clark Whittington and Art-O-Mat, Winston Salem Journal, 11/25/12: http://www.journalnow.com/relishnow/the_arts/visual_arts/article_1634f546-3691-11e2-956a-001a4bcf6878.html

No comments:

Post a Comment