Saturday, February 11, 2012

Strange Intersections


With Glenda Wharton, 2nd Mentor artist at my reception, February 10, 2012

Just felt the need to blog this:

Yesterday evening was a wonderful experience. The reception was well attended all through the evening and ended with dinner with close friends, adult students of mine, and my husband and niece. I thank Salem College, and more specifically Kim Varnadoe for the opportunity for a solo show.

When I arrived around 5:15 yesterday, Glenda Wharton, my 2nd mentor was in the gallery viewing my work. She said she wanted to get there early as she was getting over a cold and desired to view the work in its entirety before a crowd set in. We talked for awhile about my work, and how the archive had grown since she last saw my progress. We talked about Kiki Smith and her work in painting on glass, which I discovered early last semester. She told me about an award she and Kiki were provided in 2010 at the A.I.R. Gallery in Brooklyn, The Theo Westenberger Award for Extraordinary Women.

I can't tell you how clueless I am sometimes. I knew that Glenda was renowned, but I didn't know this connection to this award also received by Kiki Smith. Glenda has been on my list for women artists to include, and my other two mentors as well. But I have held back from including them just yet. I am truly blessed to have worked with such wonderful mentor artists, three women who are rock stars of contemporary art!


You can read more about the award at: http://www.airgallery.org/images/WestenbergerPR.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment