Monday, May 2, 2011

Judy Chicago: Vitreous Painting on Glass

Judy Chicago, Vitreous Painting on Glass, 8 x10"




At the beginning of this idea to work with women artists, last semester, Tony Apesos encouraged me to re-explore Judy Chicago and her concept on heroines of feminism through her conceptual masterpiece, The Dinner Party. Initially I was resistant to embracing Judy Chicago as a personal hero of art, as I found aspects of the piece rather vulgar as many of her critics. Despite my aversion I began to re-investigate Chicago and also had the opportunity to visit the Museum of Art and Design in NYC in late March and view her conceptual pieces and tapestries, the Holocaust series. I was totally consumed and exhilarated by these pieces and it gave me a sound understanding of how artists implore conceptual pieces, especially with media they do not have the personal expertise to engage. Within my blog on the NYC Art Trip I dialogued about the exhibition and have links within the blog to her work on the Holocaust series.


My photos of her works on exhibition at the MAD Museum:


Through this exhibition at the MAD Museum I found two connections for my current work. One to my references to the Holocaust within my Kollwitz homage painting and stained glass assemblage and another as Judy Chicago is one of the mothers of feminist art and my current artist statement which centers on the meta-narrative of women artists.
Judy Chicago: Biography
Artist, educator, writer. Born Judy Cohen on July 20, 1939, in Chicago, Illinois. Judy Chicago, a leading figure in feminist art, rose to fame and critical acclaim in the 1970s. She attended the University of California, Los Angeles in the early 1960s, earning both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree from this institution. Chicago worked as a painting instructor at several California universities before gaining recognition for her own creative work.
As part of her commitment to create art from a female point of view, Judy Chicago started working on a massive multimedia project in 1974. Entitled The Dinner Party, this art installation featured a long table topped with 39 illustrated plates. Each plate represents a woman of distinction and collectively the work tells the history of women in Western Civilization. This work has been shown around the world, and it is considered by many to be Chicago’s greatest work.
Some of her more recent works are The Holocaust Project: From Darkness to Light (1985-1993) and Resolutions: A Stitch in Time (1994–2000). In 2000, a career retrospective of Judy Chicago’s work entitled “Trials and Tributes” began touring. During her long career, Chicago has chosen to make art that is thought-provoking, and she has often stirred up controversy with some of her imagery. Her artwork is part of the collection of several leading art institutions, including the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Brooklyn Museum.

For more information on Judy Chicago, visit:

For more information on Judy Chicago’s Dinner Party, visit:

To view the forming archive of my Uomini Famosi series, visit:









No comments:

Post a Comment