Saturday, March 19, 2011

Homage to Kollwitz: Stages of Painting



Earlier this afternoon I met with my mentor to review the recent progress of my work.
I spent a good part of the week preparing photographic images for a montage into my Homage to Kollwitz. These images are from a search on poverty and hunger circa WWI & WWII, the Holocaust and Kristalnacht. I clipped each photo out, used a familiar tool to me- the soldering iron to burn the edges of each, then coated each with a gel medium as a first step to their inclusion in this painting.

My mentor encouraged me to document the process, so I am showing here several of the many photos that will be used.

I probably spent over 20 hours so far, just preparing these photos. It seems I have come to the point that all I want to do is make art, paint and do my glass. I have spent late nights up working this week having to force myself to go to bed, so that I can get up and teach the next day.

I am also showing here the current stage completed to the painting, a 1st layer of copper.

You can see the stages of this painting at:

No comments:

Post a Comment