Sunday, November 7, 2010

Painting: Pilot Mountain from Pinnacle




I painted today in Pinnacle with view of Pilot Mountain. I thought all my Yankee friends would appreciate seeing the view of an area that was used as the basis for the classic show, "Mayberry". You remember in "Mayberry" they often referred to Mt. Pilot... well here it is!

Check out additional photos of my environment today (see link).

Pilot Mountain is about 30 minutes from where I live in Winston-Salem. Although this is the country and I am more of an urban dweller. I travelled for a little while, driving around looking for the 'right' view. Some views I found nearby were absolutely gorgeous but marked private property, some were too remote. Painting directly alone near the woods and mountains, reeks a little too much "Deliverance" for me.
I decided on a safe place behind a little country restaurant in Pinnacle called EJ's. The restaurant is closed on Sundays. Next door was a gas station and I could hear the music from the PA system throughout the afternoon. Heard a little Sade and John Cougar Mellancamp, so it was all good.


I enjoyed painting here more than the two days on the overlooks on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Less people gawking at what you are doing. I did have a couple people cheer me on from the gas station, and a couple came over as I was finishing, but mostly there was solitude.
The owner of the restaurant came by for about an hour midway through my painting, and I asked her that it was okay that I was painting on her property. She said it was fine.
I feel this is the strongest of the three landscape paintings. I feel I have just now warmed back up into the medium and aesthetics of landscape painting again. Once upon a time in my life, I had a strong artistic identity with the landscape. I am pleased to reacquaint myself, I felt none of the conflict I did the first two times.
Besides the gunshot I could hear in the distance and the wild dogs that came out to check me out, I felt attuned to my exploration outdoors, on this cool Autumn day.


No comments:

Post a Comment